Friday, March 11, 2011

7 Quick Takes (volume 7)


-1-
Apparently I can't count and now have two editions of Volume 5 of my Quick Takes. Oops!  So this one is volume 7, even though there is no #6. This blogging thing is confusing!

-2-
After posting about baby-led weaning the other day, I came across a post of 10 Reasons to Choose Baby-led Weaning at Diary of a First Child. She has some things that I didn't think about on there, so if you are interested in more reasons for BLW, go check her out!

-3-
Ash Wednesday was this week--beginning of Lent!  Gus and I went to Mass on Wednesday, but he didn't get any ashes. I figured this was because the priest who baptised Gus on Sunday was saying Mass and distributing the ashes, and he thought that Gus probably didn't need to "Turn away from sin and be faithful to the Gospel".

-4-
I'm always so bad at Lenten fasting and prayer. I still haven't figured out what I should do this year.  I have a feeling I should limit my internet time. I usually just go on when Gus is napping, but it is too easy to "just finish reading this one thing" once he wakes up, which then turns into 10 things! But I am scared to do it--I don't really like doing things that are hard ;)

-5-
I saw this list of Top 10 Parenting Scriptures by Dulce de leche. I thought it was really good; I hadn't even thought about looking for Bible passages about parenting (I am not very good with my Bible, I must admit). But then I thought this might be a good thing to add to my prayer life for Lent--meditating on Christian parenting and God as our Father. I might need to search around for more passages, though, so if you have a favorite parenting-related Bible verse, let me know!

-6-
This past Sunday was Gus's baptism.  It was a really great day--lots of Jon's family were able to celebrate with us, although my family wasn't able to make it over. Gus was really happy throughout the Mass. At the welcoming at the beginning, we were up on the altar, I was holding Gus, then all of a sudden, the congregation started laughing. I looked down to see Gus smiling and making faces at everyone. During the rite of Baptism, Gus looked like he was really listening to everything Father was saying. Jon's stepdad said it looked like Gus was touched by the Holy Spirit. We are so blest!
Being anointed with the holy chrism.
-7-
Our washing machine broke last week. We tried to get it fixed, but that only lasted 1.5 loads before breaking again. So for my birthday yesterday, I got a new washer! We got it delivered today, and it is so quiet compared to our old one. I love it already!  And I am looking forward to being able to use the cloth diapers again--they were definitely taking a break while we were without a machine. No hand washing of diapers for me, please!

Hope you have a great weekend!  Head over to Conversion Diary for more Quick Takes!

3 comments:

  1. Our priest was just talking today about the importance of fasting! Today's readings were about the importance of a repentant heart rather than legalistic fasting, but the flip side is when the Apostles can't expel the demon because it can only be driven out with prayer and fasting. Such a difficult discipline... but if it were easy, we wouldn't learn much, right? Blessings on you as you navigate this path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your washer/not getting to use cloth diapers while it was broken! But what a great birthday present. :) I'm asking for a dishwasher for Mother's Day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A new washer is a great present. :) I am working on scipture reading (and spiritual reading in general) this Lent too. I always used to read before bed but since Dominic was born it has been a rarity.

    I'll tell you what, you pray for a fruitful Lent for me and I will pray for you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete