Thursday, April 14, 2011

Big days and quiet days

At the park.
Gus has had a big week this week, so we were in need of a quieter day today. The weekend was busy, with a trip into London on Saturday. Then we went to the playground on Sunday, which Gus loved. There is a big basket swing at our playground that we can lay him in and he swings back and forth. He was giggling and giggling! Plus, on Sunday, he decided not to nap all day--he went 10 hours with only about 30 minutes of sleep! He was definitely ready for bed early that night!

On Tuesday, Gus sat up on his own, properly, for the first time. I was so impressed! I often sit him up to play with his toys, but I guess he was usually propped up against something (usually the nursing pillow) or in my lap. He has been able to sit either leaning forward on his hands or for a few seconds up straight for a few weeks, but I think I just have not really given him an opportunity to sit on his own until this week. And once he was given the chance, he sat like a pro! Obviously he was able to develop the necessary skills and balance while sitting on our laps (and probably being worn in the sling helps too), and then put them into action at the first chance he got.

That's right. I'm sitting.
Of course, Tuesday night was a real struggle for Gus to fall asleep. Usually he falls asleep pretty quickly once we take him up to bed at about 8:30. If he doesn't seem sleepy, we let him sit with us in bed, reading books or playing quiet games, until he is ready to sleep, which is usually within half an hour or so. Not Tuesday. He alternated between being really happy and playful and crying loudly for 2 hours! We thought he was probably over-tired from his big day (he sat a lot that day, so it probably wore him out!) and kept trying to help him fall asleep, but he would have none of it. He was close a couple of times, but then would wake himself up again. Finally I put him in the sling and rocked him, and he fell asleep within 10 minutes or so. But of course, I couldn't go to sleep, because I didn't want to try and move him out of the sling to soon and wake him up, but I didn't want to fall asleep wearing him either. I was a pretty tired mama when he woke up at 7 the next morning though!

I do think that he might be teething now. I feel like I am obsessed with the idea of teething! It is my go-to explanation for any unexplained fussiness :)  But he had another difficult night last night (thankfully not as bad as the previous one) and is now in the middle of his second extra-long nap of the day. He has just seemed out of sorts today. Plus he seems to have a low fever (although I never think to take his temp when he is feeling well, so he could just have a high core temp) and keeps trying to gnaw on my nipples! We'll see if we have any action on the teeth front in the next couple of days, or if it is just a slight illness or even just an off week. He is supposed to get his 3rd round of immunizations tomorrow (7 weeks behind schedule!), but I think I'll put it off another week if he still seems under the weather then.

So this is quite a mundane post. I have lots of other things in my head that I want to write about, but I am pretty tired as well, so I can't really think about more interesting topics today :)  And anyway, I am sure you are all very interested in the details of our everyday life, anyway!

1 comment:

  1. I love Gus' hat in that first photo; so cute! Also, is his name short of Augustine? I love that name for a little boy. :)

    Thanks for the comment on my blog about tummy time; it seems like I just need to persevere.