Friday, February 25, 2011

7 Quick Takes (volume 5)

Welcome to this week's edition of 7 Quick Takes! As always, you can continue the fun over at Jen's place, Conversion Diary.


-1-
I have not been sleeping well this week. The annoying thing is, Gus hasn't even been waking up! He has been sleeping pretty restlessly, though, which has been waking me up more or less hourly from about 1 to 4 am. Combine that with my habit of not turning off the light till midnight, and you get one tired mama! Wednesday, I hardly slept a wink--even when Gus was calm, I just couldn't fall asleep. Luckily, last night was much much better. Hopefully I can catch up a bit this weekend!

-2-
WARNING: Skip to next take if you do not want to read about poop!

I have cut dairy out of my diet this week.  I have heard so many people say Breastmilk is the perfect food for babies, so there is very little waste.  Some babies only have a bowel movement once a week! Yeah, try telling that to my kid.  Every. single. diaper. was a dirty one. And not a little bit, either.  So I thought maybe something was upsetting his tummy a bit, the most likely culprit being dairy. So no more cheese for me.    Lunches are tough. I have never been much of a sandwich person anyway--I like a hot meal--but now I feel really strapped for ideas for quick and easy vegetarian lunches. Hummus and eggs, mostly, this week. Although not together. That would be weird.  And the plan to make a big batch of soup that never quite materialised. Anyway, I think it has been beneficial to Gus, so we'll keep going with it for a bit.

-3-
You all know how I love me my Moby wrap. I have mentioned it before, haven't I? If not, here goes: I love wearing my baby in my wrap. Whether you love wearing your baby or just love the look of cute little ones tucked up in papooses and such, check this out. Pictures of women from all different countries and eras, wearing their babies.  There are some super cool ones in there, too--baskets you carry on the back where the toddler can stand up and play with toys! And I do not know how people can carry a child on their head, but it  apparently can be done. (via Fill Your Pants Facebook page).  PS. It's in French, so I don't know what it says, but the pictures are pretty self-explanatory!

-4-
We're getting our family photo done this weekend.  I really need a haircut, but I actually want to grow it out again, and I hate paying someone to cut it when I want it longer. We'll see what happens. Gus will look great for the pictures, regardless of how I look!

-5-
My goal for the coming week is to finish writing Gus's birth story.  I have it mostly written, but it is 5 pages long, with probably one more page to go! So I either have to edit before posting or do a multi-part series. And my labour was fairly quick and uneventful. How do people with 24-hour labours write a concise account? Anyway, look out for it next week.


Updated:  I was rushing to finish this yesterday, and forgot to say that I have been spurred on to finish my birth story after reading Elizabeth's and Kaitlin's stories this week.  Thanks, ladies!

-6-
I finally called the hospital yesterday to become a milk donor!  I am blessed with an abundant supply of milk, and breastmilk is so beneficial to babies born sick, too early, or too small. It can be really hard for mothers to maintain an adequate supply if their babies are too small or sick to suckle, especially if the baby can't be held, and formula increases babies' risk of necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) and infections. In the UK, you can see UKAMB for more information on milk banks and donating breastmilk.

-7-
One week till Gus's baptism!  Can't wait!  I just need to find something for me to wear and book a pub for lunch afterward. I also wanted to get a St Augustine and St Monica (St Augustine's mother) medal before the baptism, but it seems like it will cost me either about £1 for two (I want something a bit nicer than that) or £50 (not really in my budget for a necklace at the moment). Or I can get this $600 one

Have a great weekend! 




2 comments:

  1. 3. Very neat link! Yeah, those ones on the head? Crazy!

    5. Yay! I vote multi-part series so you don't lose too many details.

    7.Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1- I went to bed at 1am last night! Why do we do it? lol

    2-I hope the cutting out dairy has gone well.

    3-Amen gotta love the moby!

    4-Can't wait to see it! I would love a copy. :)

    7-So excited for Gus' baptism. I'm happy it is being done before Lent. The guy that told you it didn't matter when it got done lied lol. That is like saying the Baptism doesn't matter. Anyway happy and looks forward to pics.

    ReplyDelete